A short history of Würzburg
- approximately 1000 B.C.
There is evidence of a Celtic fortification on the Marienberg.
- approximately 100 B.C.
Germanic tribes invade the region which is presentday "Franken" Franconia.
The Irish missionaries Killian, Kolonat and Totnan martyred here.
Consecration of the cathedral in the presence or Charlemagne.
The first stone bridge over the Main to connect
the two parts of the city on each side of the
river (today's "alte Mainbrücke").
Barbarossa, at the Reichstag of Würzburg,
finally bestows the Franconian dukedom upon
the bishop of Würzburg.
The great German Minnesänger, Walter von
der Vogelweide, is buried in Lusamgärtchen.
The citizen's army is annihilated by bishop
Gerhard von Schwarzburg at Bergtheim.
End of peasants' war.
The Swedes occupy the town under Gustav
Adolf without meeting resistance and besiege
the long since extended castle on the Marienberg.
The armourer and later the builder of the
Residence, Balthasar Neumann, comes to Würzburg.
The French occupy the town and its
fortress. Napoleon visits the town several times.
The railway comes to Würzburg.
The fortress is used as such for the last time
and catches fire after artillery attack.
Wilhelm C. Röntgen discovers the X-rays
named after him.
The Royal Airforce raids the city leaving it in ashes.
US. forces fight for possession of the city for
several days among its ruins.