Descendants of Ambrose BENDER - 6 JUN 1997
by Jeri Walsh
1. Ambrose BENDER was born in 1847. The Bender Family, father, mother and seven children were all born in Heildelberg, Germany and later moved to Baden Baden, a city on the western border of Germany. It is understood that they farmed there. Baden Baden is in the Black Forest of Germany.
Theresa REISS was born in 1847. Ambrose BENDER and Theresa REISS had the following children:
2 i. Frank BENDER. Frank Bender eventually made his home in chicago, date of death unknown.
+3 ii. Nicholaus BENDER.
4 iii. Maria BENDER died in 1946 in Germany. Maria Bender was here in the USA for a few years, was a bridesmaid at her mother's wedding and later returned to Germany because of an eye problem. In the late 1800's there were no medical doctors as we know them today. Maria needed an Ophthalmologist for her eye problem although the St. Louis family received no word as to her exact problem. In those years the neighborhood barber was teh doctor, dentist and dispensed all the medical advice he could give. The barber-doctor in the vicinity put leeches around Maria's eyes which were used to bleed patients. A few years after she left for Germany she became blind, and in spite of all, lived to the ripe age of 72.
5 iv. Ambrose BENDER died in 1893 in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri. He (or she) was buried in Calvary Cemetery, St. Louis, Missouri, USA. Ambrose Bender died in St. louis at age eighteen.
6 v. Anna BENDER died in 1958. He (or she) was buried in Benedictine Order Cemetery, Covington, LA, USA. Anna Bender joined the Benedictine Order of Nuns in Germany and was eventually sent to Covington, Louisiana to teach at an Academy for girls named St. Scholastica.
+7 vi. John BENDER.
+8 vii. Valentin BENDER.
3. Nicholaus BENDER1. Nicholaus Bender stayed in St. Louis, date of death unknown.
Nicholaus BENDER had the following children:
9 i. Hardy BENDER.
10 ii. Martha BENDER.
7. John BENDER was born on 6 AUG 1869 in Heildelberg, Germany. He was naturalized on 3 OCT 1892 in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri. From the Record Book of Archives, The Circuit Court, Federal Building, 12th & Market, St. Louis, Mo. -- John Bender became a naturalized American citizen on October 3, 1892 at the age of 23. Witnesses were John Reiss and charles Alsmeyer. The record states that John Bender came from Germany as a minor. A foreigner must reside in the USA and the State where naturalized for five or six years. He died on 24 JUL 1940 in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri. He was buried in Calvary Cemetary, St. Louis, MO. John Bender was the oldest son of Ambrose Bender and Theresa Reiss Bender. He immigrated to St. Louis when he was 15 years old. He was the eldest of 7 children. He and his wife Martha lived in the Hyde Park area, between 14th and 19th Street on Salisbury. They later moved to 9th and Lynch Streets. Adele, Hugo and Julia were bor!
n here. In 1902 they again moved to 1922 East Warne in Our lady of Perpetual help Parish. Julius was born here. Again, in 1903 the family moved to 3613 N. 11th Street, holy Trinity parish. Leona Isabelle was born here.
He was married to Martha LEBER (daughter of Frank LEBER and Elizabeth ?) on 7 NOV 1894 in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri. John Bender and Martha Leber met in the choir at Holy Trinity Church, and were married on Wednesday morning, November 7, 1894 at 9 o'clock in Holy Trinity Parish, St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri. A reception was held at eight o'clock PM at Apollo Hall, 9th & Bremen Ave., St. Louis, Missouri. Martha LEBER was born on 12 JAN 1872.2 She died in 1951.2 Martha Leber was the eldest of 13 children. John BENDER and Martha LEBER had the following children:
+11 i. Elizabeth Theresia Adelle BENDER.
+12 ii. Hugo Nicholaus Joannes BENDER.
13 iii. Julia Irma Leona BENDER was born on 17 FEB 1899. She died on 24 JAN 1905. She was baptized in St. Alphonsus Rock Church, St. Louis, Missouri. She was buried in Calvary Cemetery, St. louis, Missouri. Julia Irma Leona Bender became sick in January of 1905 when she was five years old, and died of pneumonia on January 24, 1905. It was remembered by Julia's mother, that her husband John Bender carried her up the stairs after Julia's death, commenting on how her curls were hanging over his arm. Adele remembered the day she died and how she was choking and trying to breathe and finally just couldn't live for a moment longer. The family doctor, Dr. Summa, was out of town when Julia (the other Leona) took sick and when he returned and came to the house. He said it was too late to help her. She was laid out and waked in the parlor. It was bitter cold and there was a compartment all around the casket where ice was packed to preserve the body, also a drape reaching to t!
he floor where the water from the melted ice dripped into a bucket. There were large folding doors from the parlor into the bedroom and although they were closed Julia's mother said all night she and her husband could hear the drip of the water into the bucket. It must have been both an eerie and heartbreaking sound for them both.
+14 iv. Julius BENDER.
+15 v. Leona Isabelle BENDER.
+16 vi. Julia Aurelia BENDER.
+17 vii. Ruth Lydia BENDER.
8. Valentin BENDER was born in 1877 in Heildelberg, Germany. He died in 1972 in Germany. Valentin Bender, returned to Germany, married, and died at age 95. He was in St. Louis, Missouri from ages 14 to 17. Back in Germany he was a chef on the railroad near mannheim.
Emma ? died in 1960. Valentin BENDER and Emma ? had the following children:
18 i. Werner BENDER died on 22 MAR 1945 in Russland, Germany. Werner Bender served in WWII in the artillery and was killed in Russland, Germany a few months before Germany was defeated.
19 ii. Petrona ?.
20 iii. Ursula ?.
11. Elizabeth Theresia Adelle BENDER1 was born on 12 SEP 1895 in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri. She died in 1984. She was baptized in St. Agatha Church, St. Louis, Missouri. When Adele was 18 years old, she was employed by the Horras Piano Co. demonstrating and playing the pianos to descern their tone. For quite a few years after that, she was employed by the film companies on Grand and Olive as a secretary. Adele went to High School to learn shorthand and typing. When Adele was ten years old she took piano lessons from the nuns at Holy Trinity. The lessons were eventually discontinued because of her natural talent for music, which she inherited, no doubt from her mother.
12. Hugo Nicholaus Joannes BENDER1 was born on 18 FEB 1897. He died on 17 MAY 1959. He was baptized in St. Agatha Church, St. Louis, Missouri. Hugo had violin lessons which was a mistake, but he did play the piano without lessons and his forte was jazz. He usually played after coming home from a date at one or two in the morning, thereby awakening the whole family. Hugo graduated from Holy Trinity and the nuns and priests felt he had a vocation to the priesthood. He went to the seminary for about a year and then dropped out. Two of his friends that would visit Leona Isabelle Bender's home, Jerome Shitsbach and Harry Schoerman, were ordained to the priesthood. He was a good outfielder and played with the Holy Trinity team. He tried out with the minor league in Marshalltown, Iowa, but was not eligible because he could not hit the curve ball. In 1917 Hugo joined the Navy and was stationed at the Great lakes for the duration of the war. He never learned to swim. Hugo! finally went to work for the Post Office carrying mail.
14. Julius BENDER was born on 3 DEC 1902. He died on 12 APR 1975. He was baptized in Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church, St. Louis, Missouri. Julius Bender went to work as a messenger for Buxton & Skinner Stationery Co. Julius was very thrifty, during WW I he bought Liberty Bonds. He loved baseball and went to the old Sportsman's Park always and would sit with the knot-hole gang. Julius also worked for a railroad in the downtown St. Louis area as a Jr. and later Sr. rate clerk. he also enrolled in night school studying law.
15. Leona Isabelle BENDER1 was born on 14 JUL 1905 in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri. She died on 1 JAN 1991 in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri. She was baptized in Holy Trinity Church, St. Louis, Missouri. She was buried in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri. Leona Isabelle Bender was brought into the world by a Midwife by the name of Mrs. Annie Byrne.
She graduated from St. Engelberts. She also took a general and commercial course at Rosati Kain High School.
She was married to Thomas Patrick WALSH Jr. (son of Thomas Patrick WALSH and Elizabeth HUTTON) on 23 APR 1926 in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri. Thomas Patrick Walsh II and Leona Isabelle Bender were married at St. Phillip Neri Church in St. Louis, Missouri Thomas Patrick WALSH Jr. was born on 9 SEP 1901 in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri. He died on 25 FEB 1975 in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri. He was buried in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri. Thomas Patrick Walsh is buried in Calvary Cemetery in St. Louis. Leona Isabelle BENDER and Thomas Patrick WALSH Jr. had the following children:
+21 i. Thomas Patrick WALSH III.
22 ii. John George WALSH was born on 11 SEP 1929 in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri. He died on 7 JUL 1994 in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri. He was buried on 9 JUL 1994 in Florissant, St. Louis County, Missouri.
+23 iii. Martha Elizabeth CANADA.
16. Julia Aurelia BENDER1 was born on 12 OCT 1908. She was baptized in Holy Trinity Church, St. Louis, Missouri. Julia Aurelia Bender was brought into the world by a Midwife by the name of Mrs. Annie Byrne. She graduated at St. Engelberts and won a scholarship to St. Josephs Academy.
17. Ruth Lydia BENDER1 was born on 12 AUG 1914. She was baptized in Holy Trinity Church, St. Louis, Missouri. Ruth Lydia Bender was brought into the world by a Midwife by the name of Mrs. Annie Byrne. She graduated from Rosati Kain.
21. Thomas Patrick WALSH III was born on 28 MAR 1928 in St Louis, St Louis County, Missouri. He was christened in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri.
He was married to Geraldine Margaret DOLAN (daughter of Albert Ralph DOLAN and Alice Mayola CLOTFELTER) on 14 OCT 1983 in Belleville, St. Clair, Illinois, America. Geraldine Margaret DOLAN was born on 29 AUG 1950 in Hillsboro, Montgomery County, Illinois.
23. Martha Elizabeth CANADA was born on 7 SEP 1935 in St. Louis, St. Louis County, Missouri.
1. Most of the information for the Bender/Walsh history was taken from a document typed up by Leona Bender Walsh related to her by her husband Thomas Patrick Walsh, Jr.
2. Back of an old family picture.
Last updated June 7, 1997
Return to the beginning