Web site: http://mctiernan.com/tully.htm
Taken from the Annals of Connaught:
Tullyhunco is the well known McTernan Barony in Co Cavan, Ulster,
Tullyhunco or as it was called in the olden days Teallach Dhonnchadh
was the site of the ancient O'Ruairc inauguration
place, a round hill named Corhanagh [Cruachan] mic Tighernain or Corann
Cruachan. This hill in Co. Cavan is
less than a mile northwest of the town of Killeshandra in Killeshandra
civil parish, PLU of Cavan. The Barony of Tullyhunco comprises three
civil parishes: Kildallan in the NW, Killashandra in the center and
Scabby in the SE. All the parishes border Co Leitrim. The root Gallic
word of Tully means small hill.
- 1258 MacRaith MagTigernain, chieftan of Tellach Dunchada was
killed by Domnall, son of Conshubar, son of Tigernan O'Ruaic
- 1282 Gilla Isa MagTiogernai, chief of Tellach Dunchada died
- 1284 Gilla Isa MagTigernain, high chieftan of Ceuel mBrenainn
- 1293 Duarcan and Sitrecc MagTigernain, chieftans of Tullyhunco
- 1294 Carrach in Chairn MagTigernain, chieftan of Tullyhunco died
- 1314 Matha MagTigernain, chieftan of Tullyhunco killed in
treachery by Cathal, son of Domnall O'Ruairc, his foster son in his own
- 1315 Domnall MagTigernain, chieftan of Tullyhunco who used to
called Saitnech was killed by Cathal na taisech (of the Chieftans)
- 1317 Conchobar Burdi MagTigernain, chieftan of Tullyhunco killed
- 1361 Tomas MagTigernain, chieftan of Tullyhunco died.
- 1367 Sitrecc, son of erenagh MagTigernain died
- 1367 Fergal MagTigernain, chieftan of Tullyhunco died
- 1374 Barrdub, daughter of O'Ruairc, wife of Drumnall MagTigernain
- 1375 Cairbre and Eogan, sons of MagTigernain led an expedition
against the Galls and a traitor in their midst
turned them in with them being killed and their heads cut off.
- 1418 Eogan, son of Cu Chonnacht, son of Tomas MagTigernain died
before the Great Christmas.
- 1523 Fergal MagTigernain, son of Gilla Isa Oc, son of Gilla Isa,
son of Brian, chief of Tullyhunco died.
The connection between the MagTigernains of the Barony of Tullyhunco,
Co Cavan, Ulster and the McTernans of Sheskin, of the Barony of
Drumahaire, Co Leitrim, Connaught or any of the McTernans in the
DNA test has yet to be found.
Last updated January 2004
Return to the beginning