http://mctiernan.com/10mysteries.htm 7-31-2021 email@example.com
20. The McTiernan Seat since 1991 is an engraved bench in front of The 300 year old Powerscourt Arms Hotel in Co Wicklow http://mctiernan.com/McTseat.htm The hotel was owned by Charlie McTernan, 1955-, until 2008 who is in the T2 DNA Group
21. The pamphlet written in 1845 by James MacTernan, <1815--1855, of the Mount Allen [Co Roscommon] McTernans that settled at Heapstown, in Co. Sligo entitled: "An Address to my Fellow Countrymen", in which James claimed descent from Tiernan O'Rourke, Prince of Breffni. Found by John C. McTernan. This James McTernan also invented a new breed of horse called the Buckshot Chestnut. This is Rory MacTiernan's family in the T Group baseline.
22. The McTernan Street in Cambridge, MA, USA formerly Lake St. right outside of County Boston, named after WW II veteran, William Francis, -1944 . This is Myles McTernan's family: Te DNA Group
23. McTernan Road, Tinderry, NSW, Australia 2626: is named after the pioneering McTernan family of the area, descending from Hugh and Mary McTernan of Michelago of which Scott (AU) & Richard descend in the Ta DNA Group
24. Origin of McTernan Place, Worrigee, NSW, Australia 2540: is probably named after Barney McTernan [below], Hugh's son who lived down there and had a stagecoach business of which Scott (AU) & Richard descend in the Ta DNA Group
25. Barney McTernan, being one of the stagecoach founders, is now a major character in the book, "Coachmen of the Nowra District" in Australia. Scott (AU), Margaret & Richard in the Ta DNA Group relate to Barney.
26. Gwladys McTernan Park, named after the mother of Richard in the Ta DNA Group, a park in Naracoorte, South Australia, Australia,
27. Origin of McTiernan Close, Wilsonton, QLD, Australia 4350: probably named after Sir Edward McTiernan who relates to Leo McTiernan in the T3 Group baseline
28. McTiernan Way, a road in downtown Minto named on 9-2-2013 by the Village of Minto, New Brunswick, Canada after the long history of the family in fire prevention. This is Michael (CN)'s family in the T DNA Group.
29. Bartholemew E. McTiernan, 12-11-1877--12-6-1917, born and died in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Bartholemew, his mother Margaret Gilroy and his wife Frances Caroline Gough were all killed in the famous Halifax explosion of 12-6-1917 which was and still is the largest man-made explosion after the atom bomb. Bartholemew is the great grand uncle of Greg McTiernan in the T2 DNA Group.
30. Lac McTiernan, a lake in Quebec, Canada, a 7 hour drive north of Ottawa and 5 hours north of Montreal. Lac McTiernan was named after William McTiernan born in Bryson, Canada. He worked for the Canadian International Paper Company in the early 1930s. To find out more about the man and his father, David McTiernan, both worked in the back country of Gatineau River, read the following book, particularly chapters 14 and 15, Crawford, Venetia, et Gunda Lambton. The Wildest Rivers -- the Oldest Hills; Tales of the Gatineau and Pontic, Maitland, Ontario. Canadian International Paper Company may have been bought by E. B. Eddy Company. The family had a home in the Mason Lumber camp operated by the E. B. Eddy Company.
A second historical opinion on "McTiernan lake" in the Gatineau hills which may not necessarily be named after a man that lived in Bryson by the name of William McTiernan, as Venetia Crawford explains in her book. William was the 2nd cousin, 2 generations removed of Thomas John McTiernan. Tom, was born and raised in Bryson, Quebec, but this "McTiernan lac" was named by him as a joke!
worked in cartography for
Energy, Mines and Resources for 35 years. In the late 70s he and his
Lacelle came across quite a few "un-named" lakes in the
Gatineau's. They thought it would be funny to name some lakes
themselves. I would have probably believed Venetia Crawford's story if
not have found this pamphlet
internet. Now - what are the chances that this hunting and fishing
situated on the McTiernan and Lacelle lakes? Tom and his buddy Dan (and
probably another 5 or 6 guys) used to go fishing together all the time
days. However, it is a surprise that the names stayed and that
are now known as the McTiernan and Lacelle lakes. The Lac some
ago. This is Maggie's & Thomas' family in the T Group.
31. McTernan Colour of the Year This award is conveyed in honour of Irene McTernan, former Edinburgh University Sports Union Administrator (1980-2011), and awarded to the most outstanding individual for exceptional and sustained service to the organization, delivery and/or administration of a University Sports Club or EU Sports Union. Colours are approved by the Blues and Colours Committee This award is confined to the University of Edinburgh students and was introduced in 2011 to mark the retirement of Mrs McTernan after 31 years of dedicated service to EU Sports Union. Her husband, Allen is in the T DNA Group baseline.
32. Maria McTernan Leadership Award is given annually by the Charles River Center in County Boston, MA to the most deserving person who has assisted in their support of programs and services for over 950 children and adults with developmental disabilities. Maria was the Chief Development Officer for the Center.
Anita McTiernan, --10-31-2020, RIP
Drumahaire. Anita, who had volunteered for over 21 years at the
Hospital in Kenya, Africa helping the hungry and poor kids has passed on after a short
Sligo town hospital. Originally, Anita was from Mullaghdoo and is
in Carrowcrin Cemetery. Anita was in the T DNA Group. A very kind
now with a high place in heaven.
34. Liz McTernan, Paralympian and Iron Man world record holder Liz McTernan is looking for sponsorship support to enable her to continue to achieve success at the highest level. Earlier this year Liz became the hand cycle world champion at the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaii. She became only the second female wheelchair athlete to ever finish the Ironman World Championships, and she now holds the course record for fastest time. She moved into long course Triathlon in 2018. Liz is in the T7 DNA Group. Read more at: https://www.louthleader.co.uk/sport/more-sport/ironman-athlete-liz-appeals-for-a-sponsor-1-8679462.
35. Madeleine or Maddie McTernan of NSW, Australia is competing in the swimming events in the Paralympics and doing well with 5 gold medals. Maddie is the daughter of Paul-Aus and therefore in the baseline of the T Group. https://m.coffscoastadvocate.com.au/news/maddies-paralympics-dream/2851013/
36. Sarah McTernan, is the daughter of Sined McTernan and the niece of Paul-C McTernan in the T3a DNA group. Sarah McTernan represented all of Ireland at the 2019 Eurovision Song Contest in Tel Aviv in May 2019. She came third in series four of The Voice of Ireland in April 2015.
Dr. Susan McTiernan, the dean of
the Mario J. Gabelli School of Business at Roger Williams University
awarded the Patricia M. Flynn Distinguished Woman in Business
Award for having had a significant impact on
by making a difference in business education. Dr. Susan McTiernan, the
recipient of the 2017 award, has been a pioneer and an instrumental
on women in business and business education, and her work in this area
an impact on many.
38. The Barr football team based in Co Cork instated a Championship Cup called the Kevin McTernan Cup for the Senior A Football competition named after the brilliant goalkeeper who was one of the great goalies in history. It commemorates the great St Finbarr’s player, selector, and club stalwart, who passed away in October, 2017, and is fondly remembered out Togher direction. The Barr's great Kevin McTernan will be honoured when Mallow face Éire Óg https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/arid-40317260.html
If anyone has any information on any of the remaining
unsolved mysteries above, please let me know
Return to MacTighernan DNA